About Great Grimsby
Great Grimsby was established as a parliamentary borough in 1295, sending two burgesses to the Model Parliament, and has been continuously represented ever since. The original borough consisted of the town of Grimsby in Lincolnshire, a market town and seaport. Despite having once included a number of the outlying parishes and Cleethorpes, the constituency today has reverted to it’s original boundaries.
According to legend, Grimsby was first founded by Grim, a Danish fisherman. ‘By’ means ‘village’ in Old Norse and ‘city’ or ‘town’ in the modern Danish language.